Virtual Reality Audio by HyperSound®
HyperSound is a breakthrough technology that offers retailers, systems integrators, and other organizations the ability to create immersive sound zones without bleed.
- Beams audio to intended individuals only
- Enables multiple audio zones
- Creates immersive, engaging experiences
- Increases dwell time
- Improves advertising (or informational messaging) effectiveness
- Boosts likelihood of intended behavior
How HyperSound Technology Works
When sound is directional, it travels along a specific path with minimal dispersion. Think of it in terms of light: a traditional loudspeaker is like a bare light bulb, radiating sound in all directions around the room. Directional audio is like a flashlight, emitting sound in a highly controlled, narrow beam. Solutions currently on the market vary in their level of audio directivity, with parametric (ultrasonic) loudspeakers, such as HyperSound, being the most precise.
HyperSound produces an immersive 3-D effect, similar to wearing headphones.
The effect is completely immersive, almost like wearing headphones. With one step a listener can enter or exit a zone of fully intelligible sound, experiencing a difference in aural perception as abrupt as if they’d flipped on a power switch. Designers can use parametric speakers to project a sound beam to a precisely targeted location, creating a private listening zone in a public place.
“The ability to target audio directly to guests in front of our product kiosks provides an immersive experience that has been very popular at the Microsoft Experience Center. HyperSound's innovative virtual reality audio is a tremendous value-add for retailers wanting to create a personal sound environment on the sales floor.”
- Marty Ramos, CTO, Retail Consumer Products & Services, Microsoft
- Increases initial interaction: Your message reaches a bigger audience when high-quality media brings in more foot traffic.
- Increases engagement: Virtual reality audio is completely immersive, similar to wearing headphones. This rich, immersive experience holds people’s attention - longer. And it’s more than just stopping power. This innovative audio experience is more unique, interesting, and entertaining than traditional in-store audio.
- Increases message retention: HyperSound pairs with visuals to build sensory branding — a rich virtual reality that enhances message assimilation and recall.
- Increases purchasing behavior: When brands use HyperSound as part of their in-store media strategy, it helps to reinforce intended behavior. Messages are more compelling because they are stronger, and often appeal more to both the emotional and rational sides of decision-making.
HyperSound solves common acoustic challenges
For audio engineers and integrators, the challenge to add audio to retail, museum, trade show, and other acoustically complex commercial spaces has been daunting, often resulting in the elimination of audio within the application. This is because most commercial loudspeakers create audio that bleeds into other spaces, or adds distracting, unwanted reflections.
Unfortunately, most audio experiences have lacked sound directivity – which is an important factor when designing spaces requiring isolated audio zones and/or needing to minimize the negative effects of audio bleed. HyperSound changes that.
HyperSound technology now provides the means for projecting sound in a highly directional manner, without using large loudspeaker arrays, to form sharp directional beams. This gives designers the unique flexibility to place sound exactly where you want it, while substantially masking sound from other areas.